The Best Place To Buy Or Sell Bedroom Furniture, Bar Equipment, Dining Room Furniture
DescriptionHandcrafted 7-piece 1930s Art Deco burr-walnut suite of bedroom furniture for sale. Very solid. Would suit an enthusiastic collector or grace a period room in a boutique hotel.
£850 to £1000 ONO
The suite has been with current owners for 26 years and before that was handmade specially for the previous owners’ bedroom. It was acquired by the current owners in the house clearance which took place just after the previous owners had died. The current owners are selling the furniture as they are changing the décor of their home.
Suite comprises items as below:
- Three-door wardrobe with two hanging rails and three drawers
- Two-door linen/clothes cupboard with six drawers
- Dressing table with large (3ft diameter) bevelled mirror
- Stool that slides underneath the dressing table for storage – included in dr table.
- Two bedside lockers with internal drawers and shelving
- One further bedroom seat with a curved back
- Warm, rich tone in the wood, with the grain clearly visible (see pics)
- Typical rounded Odeon corners creating soft edges on all the furniture
- Rounded, Odeon door handles on all pieces, barring the chairs
- Staggering precision on the dressing table drawers and dressing table stool
- All drawers very deep and accommodate a large amount of clothes
- Two-door wardrobe makes a superb linen or shoe cupboard
- Lockers still have original green glass on top surfaces
- Wardrobes come complete with ornate keys
- Original mirror on dressing table
The three-door wardrobe: one shelf with double hanging rail under and two doors. Also a single section with hanging rack for shirt and trousers and three drawers underneath. Minor chips in the veneer on the handles. Complete with ornate keys. Doors close well.
Two-door wardrobe: three drawers in the top with handy low fronts, and three deep drawers underneath with high fronts and curved cut-outs for your hand when opening them. See pics. Some warping on the doors was found at the time of purchase, as well as interior scratches where the shelves hit the inside of the doors, but this has not affected the usefulness of the furniture or its external looks. The latter could be repaired as the scratched wood is in fact a piece of internal veneer. Internal screw fittings for regulating the opening and closing of the doors are present, as is the key for the doors. Doors shut perfectly well, but will not lock due to the slight warping, as mentioned before.
Dressing table with stool: has 3 exceptionally deep drawers on either side accommodating a lot of items, and one central drawer for make-up etc or other personal effects. Large bevelled mirror which can be removed for transport. Stool slides under for storage.
Bedroom chair: unusual – it is made from single piece of curved burr walnut. Original silk upholstery features laurel leaves and bouquets of flowers. It is faded and torn so needs some work or replacing. The Royal School of Embroidery at Hampton Court offers a fabric restoration service and has advised that they may be able to restore the silk, subject to an assessment.
Lockers: original green glass on top. Inside each one there is a drawer and shelving for personal effects.
Delivery notesCollection only from Kent
This item is now sold